Re: cron & anacron

On Sun, Mar 04, 2001 at 11:25:43AM -0500, Dan Christensen wrote:
> neonatus@neonatus.net (Bostjan Muller) writes:
> On my system, the default big cron jobs are automatically ignored by
> cron if anacron is install.  Here is part of my /etc/crontab:
>
> 25 6    * * *   root    test -e /usr/sbin/anacron || run-parts --report /etc/cron.daily
> 47 6    * * 7   root    test -e /usr/sbin/anacron || run-parts --report /etc/cron.weekly
> 52 6    1 * *   root    test -e /usr/sbin/anacron || run-parts --report /etc/cron.monthly
>
> So don't remove cron.

 My system is like that too.  You're wrong, though;  cron doesn't do
anything if anacron is installed.  _nothing_, not even run anacron.
/usr/sbin/anacron runs as a daemon and does the run-parts stuff.  If you
check the package dependency, anacron only recomends, not depends on, cron.

 Go ahead and remove cron.

--
#define X(x,y) x##y