Re: cron & anacron

Peter Cordes <peter@llama.nslug.ns.ca> writes:

> On Sun, Mar 04, 2001 at 11:25:43AM -0500, Dan Christensen wrote:
> > neonatus@neonatus.net (Bostjan Muller) writes:
> > On my system, the default big cron jobs are automatically ignored by
> > cron if anacron is install.  Here is part of my /etc/crontab:
> >
> > 25 6    * * *   root    test -e /usr/sbin/anacron || run-parts --report /etc/cron.daily
> > 47 6    * * 7   root    test -e /usr/sbin/anacron || run-parts --report /etc/cron.weekly
> > 52 6    1 * *   root    test -e /usr/sbin/anacron || run-parts --report /etc/cron.monthly
> >
> > So don't remove cron.
>
>  My system is like that too.  You're wrong, though;  cron doesn't do
> anything if anacron is installed.  _nothing_, not even run anacron.
>  Go ahead and remove cron.

On my system there are a lot of files in /etc/cron.d which cron *does*
process, even though I have anacron installed.  So I think my advice
is sound, unless Bostjan has an installation with nothing in that
directory.

My only point was that removing cron wouldn't accomplish anything that
Bostjan wanted, and would have the potential of removing functionality.

Dan