Re: upgrading to 'testing' failure

Karsten

On Sun, Mar 04, 2001 at 02:43:54AM -0800, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> on Sun, Mar 04, 2001 at 11:24:05AM +1100, Brendan Simon (Brendan.Simon@bigpond.com) wrote:
> > X will not automatically work for kernels-2.1.18 and 2.4.x.  Well it's not
>                                             ^^^
> You mean 2.2.18?

Yes, I spotted that.  I installed a 2.2.18 kernel two weeks ago (with
ext3 patched in - although I am not using it yet) provided by Steve
McIntyre) and last week I upgraded to Woody with out any problem.
XF86-4.0.2 didn't come up straight away - first I had to set the correct
driver in the config file - but I had no problems with the devices.  I
can't see devfsd running.

I don't known what the problom is with XF86-4 & 2.2.18.

I am waiting to go to 2.4.x for a bit.  Alan's best advice if you need
stable (and I do on my laptop) is to wait until x.x.5 or x.x.6 which is
when the kernel becomes stable on most platforms.

Steve

--
 \____|\___/|____/ \___/ \___/   steve.dobson@krasnegar.demon.co.uk