Re: PCMCIA burnout?

On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 10:47:13PM -0500, nathanp@iosphere.net wrote:
> i shut down my card power (cardctl eject 1) when not in use, and shut down
>networking altogether because i don't use it, and have had recent success
>with keeping the modem up, but the jury's still out.

Good idea, turning it off when you don't need it.  Although most of the time
I'm on the computer, I'm on the net ;/  I really gotta get me some broadband
(I think my card's fine under ethernet).

>it was up last night all night with no freezes.

Yes, once my card settles in after a couple of freezes (two already this
session), it then runs for hours.

>incidentally, restarting pcmcia
>(/etc/init.d/pcmcia restart) resets the modem when frozen

I just pop the card out and back in.  Simpler that way :)

>(but all of windows locks up when it happens under windows 98, very ugly).

ewww, you mean it freezes under Win98 too?  I hardly touch my windows
partition, so I haven't noticed it there?

>i don't get
>any hangups, so i assume that's something else for you (isp, phone lines,
>whatever).

Yes, my neighbours have problems too.  Some dodgy local telephone loop I
guess :(

Oh well.  Is it just Xircom showing these problems?  If you're getting
problems in Win98 too, then that rules out the Linux driver.  I suppose we
have to conclude the hardware isn't as robust as we might have hoped ;(

Drew

--
PGP public key available at http://dparsons.webjump.com/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A