Re: Back to Windows??

one the one hand, there's little to be gained by from an OS argument.
and it all pretty much boils down to personal taste.
on the other hand, i have to respond to this ...

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Hans Verschoor and Jennie Kohsiek wrote:

> [...]

Minor point: My name is Craig, not Hans.  Is "Hans" the Dutch way of
saying "Hey Buddy"?

I meant that list to be 3 items (IE you have your choice of
window managers + GNOME or KDE if you like).  I use fvwm with just the
pager and rclock running.  I really like having 9 virtual desktops and
being able to navigate largely with the keyboard (nice for laptops).
for whatever reason, the UI is a big issue for me and i don't like being
forced into one way of doing things.

> > (3) Free.  As in beer.  I really like the fact that the next
> > kernel/GNOME/gnuplot/emacs upgrade won't cost me $90-$100.  It's free.
> > Yes it costs some time, but (2) makes up for that.
>
> Hans:
> The money issue is relative, Japanese companies are now kicking Linux out

yes the money issue is relative: for myself who was a grad student at the
start of using linux, money was hard to come by (but time was plentiful
*cough*).  so $100 should go to RAM (or beer), not MS.

> > (4) Free.  As in speech.  The source code is open, which means no one has
>
> Hans:
> I  don't follow this argumentation. The fact that the source is open is in
> therefore yes: Any software controls my computer.

true, but my point is who controls the software and what input do you
have.  with MS (or Sun, Apple, HP, ...) the only tool you have is the
marketplace (don't buy it if you don't like it).  with open source, you
can fix it yourself or (more likely) there will a group of people who have
a similar problem and work on a solution.

> > (5) Unixisms: True multitasking, multiuser capabilities.  You don't have
> Hans:
> Misargumentation, the file protection system of let's say NT or W2000 is

i can't argue that NT or W2k are stable and have good file security.  i
did have Win9x in mind.  One major Unixism i forgot to mention is the "do
a single task well and interact with other tools" philosophy.  again this
is a matter of personal taste on how to get things done.  along these
lines a major issue for myself is the ability to store my data in ASCII
files and easily manipulate them.  It helps to know that i will always be
able to read them.  do-able in windows?  absolutely.

> Hans:
> Right on !
> Linux should not be a cult, but I think it is by now .....

only to some people

> > My testimonial:  I got my laptop in Jan,1999 (an ARM TS759.  ARM is very
> Hans:
> Mine: I got an all Linux compatible hardware set, because I checked all

sorry to hear about your troubles.  i hope W2k works for you.

craig