Re: 2.4 kernel, problems shutting down eth0 interface

Hi.  I just want to let you know that I have run into exactly the
same behavior as you did.

Originally I compiled my kernel with the PCMCIA driver as a module.
I recompiled to make the PCMCIA driver integral (i.e., I selected "y"
instead of "m" for PCMCIA in "make xconfig") and since then I have not
had this problem.  However I haven't had to connect my computer to Ethernet
since this time either, and I think that every time I got the error
message before I happened to be connected to the Ethernet, so I fear it
may be this, and not the integralness of the PCMCIA driver, that has
made the difference.  Please let me know if compiling the PCMCIA driver
integrally fixes the problem for you.   Please reply to
jdthood_AT_yahoo.co.uk, not to the return address of this e-message.

Thomas
jdthood_AT_yahoo.co.uk

--- Original message follows ---

Yesterday I compiled a 2.4 kernel using make-kpkg.  All seems to have gone
well.  I used the pcmcia features in the kernel, and chose not to separately
compile pcmcia modules.  All seems to work well, I boot fine, start up
pcmcia fine, get a dhcp address fine.   However, I do have one problem, I
can't shut down or reboot without cutting the power to the laptop.  When I
try, I get the following error:

"Shutting down PCMCIA services: cardmgrunregister_netdevice waiting for eth0
to become free.  Usage count = 0"

No matter how long I wait, this message keeps popping up every 3-4 seconds.
It doesn't stop, and the rest of the shutdown/reboot process seems to be
waiting for this to finish.  Does anybody have any ideas as to what is going
on?  Also, one other question: I have been using dhcpcd.  In the bootup
process, I now see something that says "pump -r -i eth0 /sbin/ifconfig eth0
down cardmgr".  Don't know what this means, but I do know that I don't have
pump installed on my computer.  Any ideas?

Thanks!
Bryan Walton

Send a cool gift with your E-Card
http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/