Re: Turning off esd

Even if the below works, you may still have trouble with gnome (at least I do).
I find that when I stop esd and restart it, the panel doesn't make its cool
sounds anymore--and indeed can freeze up in an effort to play anything!

cheers

Richard

Robert Guthrie wrote:

> On Saturday 30 December 2000 16:39, Felix E. Klee wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to automatically turn off the Enlightenment Sound Deamon
> > (esd) and remove the sound modules before suspending my laptop and turn
> > everything back on when resuming. Otherwise sound does not work anymore
> > after resuming and I have to reload the modules manually. I tried
> > putting "esdctl off; modprobe -r i810_audio, etc." into a script in
> > /etc/apm/event.d. However this does not seem to work since esdctl is
> > executed from the root account and esd was started from a normal user
> > account by Gnome.
> >
> > Did anyone already solve this problem? I appreciate all suggestions!
> >
> > TIA,
> >
> > Felix
>
> I'd suggest using "su flea esdctl on" (replace flea with your username), or
> whatever you do to restart esd.  If you want a generic solution, use ps to
> capture the username associated with esd before you kill it, and when your
> computer resumes, read that info from an environment variable.  Then the
> startup command would go "su $ESDUSER ...".
>
> --
> Did you know that if you play a Windows 2000 cd backwards, you
> will hear the voice of Satan?
>
> That's nothing!  If you play it forward, it'll install Windows 2000.
>
> --
begin:vcard
n:Black;Richard
tel;home:416-971-4159
tel;work:416-217-4350
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:www.algorithmics.com
org:Algorithmcs Inc.
adr:;;185 Spadina Avenue;Toronto;Ontario;M5T 2C6;Canada
version:2.1
email;internet:rblack@algorithmcis.com
title:Financial Engineer
fn:Richard Black