Re: network configuration

> Hi all--
>
> which is the file on Linux that I have to change so that the machine
> recognises the sub-net's DNS server, gateway. NIS server etc on linux?? is
> it the /etc/hosts file and the /etc/networks file??
>
> any info on this??

dns servers are listed in /etc/resolv.conf

NIS servers are something else entirely.  If you have NIS at your site
then you surely have a sysadmin who maintains that for you, and it's
common to have a few other policies he wants to maintain which you should
follow to be a good citizen on your network.  NIS does serve up hostnames,
but it also handles a lot more than that.  NIS is uncommon except in
Solaris environments.

> it looks like my machine is not able to connect to the network. and the
> PCMCIA ethernet card looks fine to me, I installed X and ran it, ever
> since the network problem has occured. I removed the link for the inetd,
> httpd, named daemons (that were installed when i installed debian) from
> the init.rc.2 (or 3??)

2 is the default debian runlevel.  You can see it mentioned in /etc/inittab

> and it appears that installing X has affected the network layer on this
> laptop. any suggestions on how to go about fixing this?? other than having
> to reinstall debian that is!!

The symptoms are too vague.  That you can't reach apt anymore, I guess I
can understand.  with 'ifconfig -a' and 'route -n' results we could make
some guesses at your current network state.  The file /etc/resolv.conf
should mention the IP address of a good name server... an example:
	search starshine.org
	nameserver 216.240.40.162
	nameserver 209.209.60.131
	nameserver 198.186.202.185

(in this case, that's something on my nearby network, something at my ISP,
and a trustable external site.)

Did you upgrade pcmcia services by any chance?

With notes from your sysadmin about what you are *supposed* to be allowed to
connect to, we might even be able to tell whether your bits can get there.
But if he or she has recently changed something about the network you attach
to, the problems might not be on your end.

Now whether the local sysadmin would prefer you to be telling us about
your routes and ip configurations is another question, which we cannot
answer for you.

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...