network configuration

Hi all--

which is the file on Linux that I have to change so that the machine
recognises the sub-net's DNS server, gateway. NIS server etc on linux?? is
it the /etc/hosts file and the /etc/networks file??

any info on this??

it looks like my machine is not able to connect to the network. and the
PCMCIA ethernet card looks fine to me, I installed X and ran it, ever
since the network problem has occured. I removed the link for the inetd,
httpd, named daemons (that were installed when i installed debian) from
the init.rc.2 (or 3??)

and it appears that installing X has affected the network layer on this
laptop. any suggestions on how to go about fixing this?? other than having
to reinstall debian that is!!

thanks,
praveen kamath