Re: network configuration

Kamath wrote:

> Hi all--
>
> which is the file on Linux that I have to change so that the machine
> recognises the sub-net's DNS server, gateway. NIS server etc on linux?? is
> it the /etc/hosts file and the /etc/networks file??

/etc/networks if you have a pci or isa card

for dns and subnet search it's the /etc/resolv.conf however the network
conf. file above should do it for u.

> any info on this??
>
> it looks like my machine is not able to connect to the network. and the
> PCMCIA ethernet card looks fine to me, I installed X and ran it, ever

and if you r using pcmcia so /etc/pcmcia/network.opts

> since the network problem has occured. I removed the link for the inetd,
> httpd, named daemons (that were installed when i installed debian) from
> the init.rc.2 (or 3??)

on the never debians also on the lsb it's the /etc/rc3.d directory and
on the old ones /etc/rc2.d