Re: problems with X

Yes, the problem of the network connection not working baffles me.

I used to access the net(internet) to get packages(using debians "dselect"
program) and then I had the problems with X, I used to reboot the system
without doing it the normal way(shutdown or init 0 commands) by turning
off the power switch. And now there is this problem of not connecting to
the net.

Let me ask something, I am connecting to the internet via some
servers(DNS, webserver etc.,?? on this intranet, which has predominantly
UNIX machines that run servers. And I also notice that there is a
inetd, http server(httpd), and a (domain??) name server(named) that Debian starts up
on this machine. I believe I dont really need these. any ideas on how to
reomve these?? and connect to the network ??

I am using a 10bT PCMCIA ethernet card. and the card seems to be working
fine.

Thanks for the display manager bit, and the info on how to start-up X
using the startx script. I did eactly that(removed the symlink that
started up the xdm process) and then edited a .xinitrc file to include
some xterm (clients??)

and it works, fine. but there is no way to get a connection to the net!!

Thanks,
Praveen Kamath