Re: IBM 2,5" drive

On 2000-12-04 22:55, Maurice Verhagen wrote:
>last week I wrote about my broken IBM disk in here.
>the 6gb travelstar I wanted to buy wasn't available anymore.
>So I looked for another disk and found the travelstar 20GN (10 gb) space.
>I saw the interface was ATA-5 although the same IBM page said the
>interface was ATA-4.
>(http://www.storage.ibm.com/hardsoft/diskdrdl/travel/32gh30gt20gndata.htm)
>
>I wondered what this interface is. Does ATA-5 exist? I now have an
>thinkpad 390e with ATA-4 interface which supports 9.5mm disks, this is my
>only chance, or doesn't it work at all?
>
>please, could anybody make this clear to me?

Things like "ATA-5" will probably never be clear to anyone because such terms
are mainly marketting terms and are widely mis-used.

The main thing is that ATA/IDE drives are always backward compatible.  The
latest ATA-100 disk may not work in a 1989 AT, but it will work in machines
that are 2 or 3 generations behind the current technology.

The 390 series is a farily recent series of machines, I doubt that you would
have any problems.  I expect that the drive in question would work fine in an
old 385 series.

My current Thinkpad (T20) came with a 6G drive.  I've installed a 10G drive,
but after it started making funny sounds I've been considering a new >25G IBM
drive.