Re: IBM 2,5" drive

On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, Andy Bastien wrote:

> Pending further investigation, we now allege that Maurice Verhagen wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > last week I wrote about my broken IBM disk in here.
> > the 6gb travelstar I wanted to buy wasn't available anymore.
> > So I looked for another disk and found the travelstar 20GN (10 gb) space.
> > I saw the interface was ATA-5 although the same IBM page said the
> > interface was ATA-4.
> > (http://www.storage.ibm.com/hardsoft/diskdrdl/travel/32gh30gt20gndata.htm)
> >
> > I wondered what this interface is. Does ATA-5 exist? I now have an
> > thinkpad 390e with ATA-4 interface which supports 9.5mm disks, this is my
> > only chance, or doesn't it work at all?
> >
> > please, could anybody make this clear to me?
> >

> I'd imagine that they mean that it's a UDMA/66 drive, which would be
> compatible with older systems.  The pins are all the same, it's just the
> cables and controllers that are different on UDMA/66.
>
> You also aren't necessarily required to get an IBM drive. Any 2.5"
> 9.5mm IDE drive should work (although IBM hard drives are good ones).

For what it's worth:
I successfully installed IBM 12GN(12GB) on Mitsubishi Amity CN2.
Notebook has only UDMA33. Works just fine.
Although had some BAD lockup in BIOS, when trying to tell
BIOS to use DMA3. Had to disconnect the drive, restart, then
again to connect and only then to change BIOS. BR-rrrrr.

Fortunately it does not really matter how BIOS talks to HD.
Because even w95 does not use it.