Problem with startup of Debian Linux

Hi everybody,

I am trying to install Debian on my noname laptop.

Everything works fine until I reach the "reboot section" of
the installation process.

I reboot the system from disk and from lilo to uncompresssing the kernel
everything works fine. the filesystems are mounted, a few demons
are started... and so on...

After run level 2 is reached, the boot process gets
trapped at the moment where the inetd should be started.
nothing works from then on. even ctrl-alt-del gets no response.

I have an internal modem, but I haven't configured a driver module for  it.
The network is not configured. All I did was specifying a hostname.
I  assume, that thus the internal modem should not pose any problem to the
kernel. The kernel  just simply doesn't "know" it, right?

Is anybody of you familiar with this problem?

One workaround could be to open a second shell from the rescue system
and to remove the starting of the inetd-demon from the rc scripts,
but I consider this to be the last resort. I want the demon to be running,
because I want to reach localhost:80, for example.

Any kind of help or advice is deeply appreciated! :-)

Bye,

Stefan