Re: debian talks to mac :-)

Daniel Pittman wrote:

> On Sun, 2 Jan 2000, JC Helary <helary@eskimo.com> wrote:
>
> [... mac and Linux machine talking ...]
>
> > It looks like I need some kind of tcp/ip networking going on here, so
> > is there a way to implement this in a debianese way and/or without
> > spending too much money?
>
> Sure. A NULL-Modem cable, also known as a serial crossover cable, is the
> only cost you will have. You need one that will connect to a serial port
> on your Mac at one end and to a free serial port on the Linux machine at
> the other.
>
> I believe, but do not know, that this is possible. I can't tell you what
> cable or anything though; I have never done any serial stuff on a Mac.

I would recommend ethernet cards.  For my laptop I was about to pick up
a Xircom card for £30 and 10m of cross-over _ethernet_ cable cost me £7.
However I don't know the price of ethernet cards for Macs.  Once you
have the hardware setting up a tcp-ip link it trivial.  Plus instead of
using a serial port with a maximum transfer rate of 14kpbs you get a
transfer rate of either 10Mbps or even 100Mbps which is much better for
file transfering.  Once you have the tcp-ip link set up file transfers
can be easily done by using the samba protocol (macs can use this with
the correct *free* software), however things like appletalk are also
available for linux.

Although the initial expense an ethernet network it a god-sent, and I'm
a poor university student :)  The ethernet will be the simpliest thing
to set up and also the fastest you could connect the machines together.

Alex

--
**       ((__))   Alexander "Jim diGriz" Clouter
   ||      ||                (remove those spaces to e-mail me)
   ~~~    ~~~        equip : 300Mhz Celeron Laptop running
  Cow during an                      Debian Linux
   Earthquake