Re: debian talks to mac :-)

On Sun, 2 Jan 2000, JC Helary <helary@eskimo.com> wrote:

[... mac and Linux machine talking ...]

> It looks like I need some kind of tcp/ip networking going on here, so
> is there a way to implement this in a debianese way and/or without
> spending too much money?

Sure. A NULL-Modem cable, also known as a serial crossover cable, is the
only cost you will have. You need one that will connect to a serial port
on your Mac at one end and to a free serial port on the Linux machine at
the other.

I believe, but do not know, that this is possible. I can't tell you what
cable or anything though; I have never done any serial stuff on a Mac.

Anyway, that will let you use a standard dial-up PPP _client_ on the Mac
to talk to a PPP server on the Linux machine.

The PPP HOWTO should help with the configuration issues at the server
side. It's at <URL:http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/PPP-HOWTO.html>

Section 27 is about just this sort of thing. It assumes Linux at both
ends; in your case make the Linux machine the server.

> I just read about dedicated ppp. Can anybody give me advice on how to
> set up a dedicated ppp conection ? Is it possible to have my debian
> laptop keep the dedicated connection _while_ running a dial-up ppp
> connection ?

Yes. If you don't have a block of routed addresses (which you don't, I
am willing to bet) you will need to use private IP addresses for talking
between the Mac and the Linux box.

When you dial up the Internet from the Linux machine, the Mac will be
able to talk to the Linux box still but it will not be able to see the
outside world.

I would recommend installing Squid as a proxy server if you want to
allow the Mac to use the same Internet link and all. That's another
question though :)

> Any pointer will be apperciated (I just got 'tcp-ip network
> administration' for my birthday but it is still slightly more than
> what I can easily compute... ;-)

That should detail the privately assignable IP ranges somewhere in it.
To save you the hunt though, you can use 192.168.100.* where '*' is any
number from 1 to 200. You will need one address for the Mac and one for
the Linux box (and not the same one ;)

That should get you started (and confused ;)

        Daniel

--
The sexual revolution is over and the microbes won.
        -- P. J. O'Rourke, _Give war a chance_ (1992)