debian talks to mac :-)

This list is so cool, I'm really glad it exists :)

So anyway. After the X question I have a debian/tcp-ip/mac question. Maybe
not so specific to debian laptops, but well, the fact is I use one so I
have no clue about the rest.

So, my debian Thinkpad is on my desk and only a few meters away I have a
nice 7200/75 running 8.1 (and waiting to have another hd with linuxppc,
but that's another matter...) They desperately want to talk to each
other, from simple things (file transfer) to more fun stuff (testing cgi
scripts on the apache from a browser on the mac).

It looks like I need some kind of tcp/ip networking going on here, so is there
a way to implement this in a debianese way and/or without spending too much
money?

I just read about dedicated ppp. Can anybody give me advice on how to set up
a dedicated ppp conection ? Is it possible to have my debian laptop keep
the dedicated connection _while_ running a dial-up ppp connection ? Any
pointer will be apperciated (I just got 'tcp-ip network administration'
for my birthday but it is still slightly more than what I can easily
compute... ;-)

Sincerly yours,

Jean Christophe Helary