Woody on Toshiba Tecra 8100

As a long time Debian user, I applaud the great work done by the
developers!! But I have been using Debian on my home PC and work PC with
out a problem. Then I get a laptop from work which had winblows NT 2000
Pro. (deleted that right away) and proceeded to install woody (I use
unstable all of the time!) and now, here is my story: (it might be a
little longwinded, just want to give as much background as possible).

Clean install onto Toshiba via floppy. The base install worked great and
it included a 2.2.17 kernel and modules for pcmcia. I was able to
connect to both the local lan at work and via cable modem at home. I got
all of the packages installed that I needed, X worked out of the box!
Made bootable floppy(s) and tested it to make sure that there are no
surprises. Now I wanted to get sound working using the
alsa-modules-2.2.17 which matches my kernel version. It had a dependency
for kernel-image-2.2.17 (?) which I took and also pcmcia-modules-2.2.17.
Everything seemed to work fine (even made another bootable floppy from
the install of the kernel-image-2.2.17). Reboot, I get the messages
about not modules.dep file which it created after, alsa picked up the
yamaha sound chip set. Then when pcmcia rolls around, it just sits there
and comes back with an "operation failed". Now before I let the
kernel-image install, I backed up the original 2.2.17 modules directory.
I rebooted with the rescue disk I created, moved the current 2.2.17
directory to 2.2.17.huh and move 2.2.17.orig back to 2.2.17 (still with
me?!?). Rebooted using a floppy and pcmcia was working again.

So, I get the source package for pcmcia (I like my systems to remain
stock with very few mods unless needed) and went over the docs,
debug-tools etc. I captured the out to a few of the debug tools. I then
did the reboot again and moved the modules directory again and used the
boot floppy from the 2.2.17 image install. Again I get the same problem
with pcmcia. I run this through the debug tools and find a few
differences:

Stock install which comes with pcmcia modules already is a 2.2.17 kernel
(not a package, just from base*tgz. The output from debugging says
"Xircom (blah blah) using IRQ 5" (this is the one that works). The
output for the second packaged 2.2.17 stuff shows "Xircom (blah blah)
using IRQ 11". What gives? The /etc/pcmcia/config.opts did not change.
Where did this IRQ 11 come from? I checked /proc/interrupts and it shows
the sound stuff using IRQ 11 AND pcmcia also trying to use IRQ 11. I
have reloaded, tried over and over, used different kernel-images from
2.2.17, 2.2.17-ide, 2.2.17-compact and it associated modules for alsa
and pcmcia and I still get this problem. Only the stock base install
from floppys work and that pcmcia is using IRQ 5. I installed winblows
and it shows the Xircom using IRQ 11 and the yamaha using IRQ 7 (?).

I guess what has me confused is that a base install would have working
pcmcia modules but and dselect/alsa-modules-2.2.17 would cause all of
these weird problems. Anyone want to advise as to how I should proceed?

Thanks
Miguel A. Figueroa
Anyone want to take a shot? ;>

Miguel
begin:vcard
n:Figueroa;Miguel A.
tel;fax:210-357-2599
tel;work:210-444-3564
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://satlug.org
org:San Antonio Linux Users Group
adr:;;13522 Barsan Road;San Antonio;Texas;78249;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:figueroa@satlug.org
title:President
x-mozilla-cpt:;23544