Re: laptop installation

Thanks for the advice, it will be considered when the repartitioning comes around. Since this is my personal laptop, there should only really be one or maby two users on the system. Enough for two ISO images should be about 1.3gb, which sounds about how much space I'd like for it, because all I really keep in /home is a bunch of cvs sources (and I mean alot), and about a gig of mp3s that I actually listen to. I guess I'll just go ahead and make / about 120mb for the heck of it. Then the 1.3gb /home I just mentioned. I guess /var should only need about 500mb, because I do plan on doing automatic apt about once or twice a week when woody gets on it. The 60mb swap (I have 64mb of ram so I don't need that much swap space), and a 100mb /tmp (does this sound about right?). The rest to /usr, which now should be about 1.8gb, which is nice now that I realize I don't need a humongous / partition :D.

Thanks alot.. see you guys around.

- Jordan

webfreak@themes.org
http://e.themes.org php developer

At 02:56 PM 12/15/2000 +0100, you wrote:
Hello Jordan,

On Thu, 14 Dec 2000, Jordan Evatt wrote:

> One final note... How would you guys recommend partitioning a 4gb hard
> drive? :) I don't really want to use one big partition, which I've been
> doing for a long time, so I decided to split it up this installation. I
> tried an 800mb /, 1200mb /home, 1800mb /usr, and 250mb /var (which actually
> isn't big enough since downloading deb packages can take well over 300mb,
> so that'll HAVE to be bigger).

First of all, I think it's a good idea not to leave /tmp on the partition
where / is (As the data on / is almost static, whereas the data on /tmp
changes often). So make /tmp a symbolic link to /var/tmp or create an
extra partition for it. Then you will never need 800mb for /. About 100mb
should be enough in most cases (I am running potato on a 1Gb hd, with a
60Mb / partition, which is not even half full, while /usr with about 600mb
is filled to 95%). Concerning the size of /home, you should consider, how
many users there are on the system, and what you want them to be able to
do. I would say, it would be nice, if users have the possibility to store
about one ISO-CD-image in their home-directory, so make /home about
700-800mb per user. If the machine can't burn CDs and there are no users
working on it, who will do a lot of graphics work or say GIS, you can of
course scale down the size quite a lot.
Concerning /var, you are absolutely right, that 250mb is a bit small, if
you want to do automatic upgrading via apt. If you want to do database
stuff or do a lot of TeX-ing with fonts in different resolutions (which
will fill up /var/spool/texmf) you should add some more.
By the way, I think it would be nice, if someone could do something like
"average compression rate" of .debs (i.e. unpacked size vs. size of the
package), then one could approximately guess the right size for
/var/apt/cache. Perhaps I'll look into the subject when I have a little
more time. Should not be too difficult, one could use the data from
the packages database and write a little perl or python script to do it.
60 mb for swap is ok, now the rest is up for /usr.
Just my 0.02$.
Regards,
Daniel