From: Daniel Bungert [mailto:drb210@psu.edu]
Sent: Sunday, November 26, 2000 7:57 PM
To: debian-laptop@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Trident 9525DVD

Philipp Schulte <p.schulte@matrix.uni-duisburg.de> wrote:
> Hello,
> I am trying to get XFree86 4.0.1 running on my Lifebook C4155.
> I has got the Trident 9525DVD chip. I tried to create a XF86Config
> by using "XFree86 -configure". But a "startx" with this configfile
> would totally mess my sceen up.
> I can see a white screen and blue flashes on it - it just looks
> horrible. Is it possible that this might destroy the screen?
>
> Ok, how can I make X run? I searched for config-files but couldN#t
> find one that was working.
> I would use XFree86 3.3.6 also but I thought the Trident 9525DVD was
> not supported.
>
> Thanks,
> Phil

The trident card is supported in both XFree 3.3.6 or 4.x.  I have one
in my Toshiba 2595.

Assuming that you are running Debian woody and that you have the proper
packages installed (try task-x-window-system), all you need to do is
run dexter to configure XFree 4.x.

If that doesn't work then I would assume that the problem is with the
screen itself.

As for the question of these blue and white flashes on the screen to
damage the laptop itself - I doubt it, but I don't know.

Try generating your own conf file for XFree 4 first - if you still have
trouble, contact me off-list and I will send you one with the refresh
rates gutted out (you _have_ to get those right).

Good luck,

-Dan

--
| Dan Bungert | www.personal.psu.edu/drb210/ | drb210@psu.edu |