Re: dselect

G'Day !

I forget which package it choked on (maybe libpam0) ... basically a package
needs libpam0 but libpam0 cann't update till I've upgraded the other package, a
real Catch-22.  So now it is stuck in this limbo state of packages installed but
not configured properly.

When I went back thru the documentation ... it warned me of this, I just did not
read it.  My mistake, getting too lazy to read manuals.

I have avoided these problems on my laptop by just installing the base system,
then installing the packages one at a time via dpkg as I discover I need/want
them.

cheers,
Jim Parker

Sailboat racing is not a matter of life and death ....  It is far more important
than that !!!

                    Adam C Powell
                    IV                   To:     JParker@coinstar.com
                    Sent by:             cc:     debian-laptop@lists.debian.org
                    hazelsct             Subject:     Re: dselect

                    11/17/00
                    11:55 AM

JParker@coinstar.com wrote:

> G'Day !
>
> Yeah I tried to Upgrade my desktop with dselect instead of apt-get and dpkg
> And I trashed my system  :-(  I finally got it working enough to boot so I can
> recover my files, but unless someone can show me a better way, I will need to
> reinstall from scratch then do a restore from backup  :-(

I don't understand.  Doesn't dselect use apt-get to install software?  (Unless
you
have the packages on a CD, I suppose.)

I've always used dselect, and if it did something that hurt the system, it was
always while running apt-get.  Please explain further.

-Adam P.