Re: I got me a laptop :)

On Sun, 5 Nov 2000, CaT wrote:
> 1. Sound. This laptop has an ESS ES1980 PCI sound card. Neither of the
>    ESS options in the kernel worked. Does anyone know if it's possible
>    to get sound out of this sucker under linux?
>
>    Here's the lspci output for it btw:
>
>    00:0c.0 Multimedia audio controller: ESS Technology: Unknown device 199a
>
>    (doesn't look promising :/)

If it's a newer device (like the Maestro-3 in my laptop) that isn't
supported/recognized by the OSS/Free drivers in the kernel, you might
check out www.alsasound.com or www.opensound.com.  The latter will cost
you $30 for the base+driver, but they are pretty solid.

Of course, your problem could be something else, too, try updating to
the latest kernel, too.

Actually, come to think of it, yours could actually be a Maestro-3 as
well.  Here's mine:

00:08.0 Multimedia audio controller: ESS Technology ES1983S Maestro-3i PCI Audio Accelerator (rev 10)

But then, it appears that 2.4.0 has a different method of detecting
names, so I wouldn't be surprised that all that information wasn't
found on the older kernels.

> 2. Modem. The mini-pci card in this sucker is both an eepro 100 and a
>    real modem (not a winmodem - the sales guy was adamnant about that
>    and sounded like he knew what the difference was :). The card is a
>    Xircom and here's the only details I have atm:
>
>    00:0d.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82557 [Ethernet Pro 100] (rev 09)
>    00:0d.1 Serial controller: Xircom: Unknown device 00d3

As long as it recognizes a serial device, it should assign in a ttyS* and
use it.  Did you try out minicom/seyon on it?

I'm assuming the ether card works for you?

> 3. Gfx card :) Which X driver is the best for it? It's a
>
>    S3 Savage IX Multi Display Accelerator. 2X AGP 8MB SGRAM

You can get it to work in one of two ways.  Using the frame buffer
X server and compiling in VEST FB support in the kernel.  Pain in
the butt and rather slow (non-accelerated), but it works.  Or, you
can grab the "beta" version of this driver.  This was the URL given
to me by someone at XFree86.org, and works on Savage IX and MX:

http://www.probo.com/timr/savagemx.html

You may want to check and see if it has been rolled into the main
XFree distribution yet, if it has, go for that.  This download is
just a replacement for XF86_SVGA, nothing else.

Good luck!

Aaron