Re: I got me a laptop :)

CaT wrote:

> 1. Sound. This laptop has an ESS ES1980 PCI sound card. Neither of the
>    ESS options in the kernel worked. Does anyone know if it's possible
>    to get sound out of this sucker under linux?
>
>    Here's the lspci output for it btw:
>
>    00:0c.0 Multimedia audio controller: ESS Technology: Unknown device 199a

Looks like this device was not assigned an IRQ by the BIOS. Check your
BIOS, and see if it has a setting for "Plug and Play OS". If it does,
disable it. I have seen failure to recognize PCI devices (especially
sound and network cards) be caused by this. What I think happens is that
if "Plug and Play OS" is enabled, then the BIOS expects the OS to assign
IRQ's. Linux works better when the BIOS gives it pre-assigned IRQ's.
This may not be your problem, but it's worth checking.

--Greg