Re: debian instalation on laptop

> On Fri, Oct 13, 2000 at 03:15:15PM +0100, m.puzovic@etoncollege.org.uk wrote:
> > Is there any difference in installing debian distribution on laptop computer
> > ?
> >
> > milos
>
> When recompiling the kernel, you need to make sure you recompile
> pcmcia-modules as well.  You have to be careful with pcmcia-cs that you
> don't suddenly lose network connectivity when upgrading the kernal (keep a
> spare copy of the deb's for both pcmcia-cs and pcmcia-modules for the old
> kernel, along with the deb of the old kernel).
>
> Drew

I'd like to add, if adding the kernel via apt, make sure to grab the module
pack that contains the pcmcia modules, since it's packed seperately - this
is in addition to the support tools which you'll find in pcmcia-cs.

(when you build pcmcia-cs from source it coughs up these modules for you;
 this is one context where life is easier for the user who makes their own.)

I'm a really big fan of
	apt-get -d install <packagename>

...and then completing the install of these things locally.  I'm also a big
fan of dpkg-repack so I can reconstruct a .deb file right before I'm about
to smash it (or a set of 'em) with an attempt to upgrade.

(This behavior means I have a choice between a new and featureful console-apt,
or an old but stable one.  Ever since they changed the interface it crashes
whenever it encounters anything that would just cause apt-get to give some
sort of message.  But this isn't laptop-ish so I'll shush now.  But, if anyone
wants the really old deb, let me know.  Alternatively, if anyone knows a sane
method to reconstruct say, late march's foo package, let me know...)

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...