Re: Suspend to disk.

On Mon, Oct 09, 2000 at 09:08:11AM -0700, Heather wrote:
> If it is a typical Phoenix BIOS, raw partitions for hibernate can be
> anywhere on the disk.  This isn't just "known" this is tested, as I've
> got a quite happy machine with a partition smack in the middle. (I was
> moving it around messing with sizes of other things.)

I just installed Debian on my laptop so I've been following this
discussion with a great deal of interest.  I have the opposite problem
from everyone else -- suspend and hibernate work fine, despite the
fact that linux reports

apm: BIOS not found

when booting.  The hard drive also shuts down after a few minutes of
idleness, even though hdparm isn't installed.

Some particulars on my box:

- Compaq Presario 1700 model 17XL260
- PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0.C   03 - 00
- Debian Potato
- Win98 on hda1

I don't have any idea where the bios is saving its restore information
when it hibernates.  There wasn't a separate hibernation partition.  I
suppose it must be saving to a file somewhere but I don't know where.

My problem is that, since the kernel doesn't recognize my APM bios, I
can't tell how much battery life I have left.  Guess you can't have
everything :-).  Give a choice, I'd probably give up hibernation if I
could monitor the battery.  It doesn't take too long to boot up.

Walt