Re: Device manager lies? Do I have a winmodem?

[trimmed a bit]

> 	Dear colleagues,
> winmodems. On the other hand I even read that there are winmodems in the
> Satellite series that don't tell in the W98 Device Manager that they are
> winmodems, but other things. In my case, it would be something like
> "Toshiba v.90 internal modem".
>
> 	In the driver section of the Device Manager, the driver files are named
> LTdon'tRememberTheRest.VXD, LT...DLL. In properties section of that files,
> in the field 'Company', the company is also "LT".
>
> 	LT is Lucent, no?

LT is Lucent, yes.

As a general case, a true modem requires very little controlling software
beyond "the serial port is over there" and a handoff to basic serial code.
So, if you have a fairly large VXD under the hood of your modem driver in
MSwin, it is likely to be a "controllerless modem" whether they say so or not.

winmodem is a trademark of 3com.  I forget which company started this mess.

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...