Re: PCMCIA oddities with 2.2.15 on TP 760ED
I have to admit I don't quite remember what I did to fix this
problem on my laptop. Shame on me. But here are some pointers:
- You have tried minicom, right?
- You have compiled the serial support as module and it is along
with the pcmcia modules loaded upon insertion of the modem?
- You have ppp compiled as module and it's loaded when you try
dialing in? (check /sbin/lsmod)
- You have checked that the kernel doesn't complain? (check
logfiles for syslog, kernel, debug). Maybe it doesn't find your
- You told serialconf to leave your second serial port alone?
Ok, this is where I edited the startup scripts (in init.d) to no
longer autoprobe, but set the settings for ttyS0. I don't touch
ttyS1, that's under the control of the pcmcia card.
- You didn't change the settings of the serial port by any chance?
I assume you can also en/disable them, turn on IR instead etc.
Reference points from my system:
"setserial -bg /dev/ttyS?" called by user:
/dev/ttyS0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
/dev/ttyS1: Permission denied
and here it is called by root:
/dev/ttyS0 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
/dev/ttyS1 at 0x13f8 (irq = 2) is a 16550A
Odd, but ok.
Note that I also have the following line in /etc/modutils/local:
alias char-major-108 ppp
(You may or may not need this, again, the logfiles are your friends.)
Let us know how it works...
mailto:email@example.com (Tom Vogels) Tel: (412) 268-6638 FAX: -3204