Re: hello

thank you for all your help.  I am amazed how many people actually responded to that.  I tried all of the commands, none of them worked.  I think the problem may be that I do not have the dummy module.  I knew to install it, but it wasnt on the cd that I have.  If thats the problem Im really confused on what to do from here.  I am attaching a copy of some of the things that I did when I tried your commands.  if you have other specific commands for me to run, please let me know

thanks,
tomas
Ipchains -L output

Chain output (policy DENY):
target     prot opt     source                destination           ports
ACCEPT     all  ------  anywhere              anywhere              n/a
ACCEPT     all  ------  anywhere              localnet/24           n/a

ipfwadm -O -l
(this returned this error)
ipfwadm: cannot open file /proc/net/ip_output

ipmasq returned no errors

ifconfig

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:80:C7:CC:46:C5
          unspec addr:[NONE SET]  Bcast:[NONE SET]  Mask:[NONE SET]
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          Interrupt:3 Base address:0x310

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3924  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

copy of /etc/init.d/network

#!/bin/sh
ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
route add -net 127.0.0.0
IPADDR=192.168.42.42
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
ifconfig eth0 ${IPADDR} netmask ${NETMASK} broadcast ${BROADCAST}