Re: hibernation

    Lauren> I might add that adding in that partition might not be easy.
    Lauren> Obvious questions such as:

    Lauren>   -- Does phdisk create the partition or just format it?

 It just formats it.

    Lauren>   -- Where does the partition need to be in relation to
    Lauren>      other partitions (Win98 boot, Linux, Linux swap, etc.)
    Lauren>      on the disk?

 iirc, phdisk has a switch that tells you how large a partition you
 need.  It's got to be a primary partition.  It must be as large as
 your RAM, and then a little extra room for whatever other data the
 BIOS needs to store there.

    Lauren>   -- Could partition magic be used to make room for this partition
    Lauren>      (given an answer to the second question above) and then phdisk used?

 Yes, I think that would work fine.

    Lauren> Seems like a number of possibilities for messing things up pretty
    Lauren> seriously if this sort of thing isn't known in advance...

 Just have to make sure it's a large enough partition.  I'm fairly
 certain the BIOS will use the partion in preference to a file, if the
 partition is present.  It works for sure with a Phoenix BIOS.  Is
 that what your laptop has?  You might try the web page of the BIOS
 company.