Re: hibernation

From: karlheg@bittersweet.inetarena.com (Karl M. Hegbloom)
Subject: Re: hibernation
Date: 05 May 2000 18:20:04 -0700

>     Lauren> I might add that adding in that partition might not be easy.
>     Lauren> Obvious questions such as:
>
>     Lauren>   -- Does phdisk create the partition or just format it?
>
>  It just formats it.

i think that there may be a number of different versions of phdisk out
there.  the phdisk on my machine can create, format, and delete
hibernation paritions and files.  e.g.

phdisk.exe /create /file
phdisk.exe /create /partition

>     Lauren>   -- Where does the partition need to be in relation to
>     Lauren>      other partitions (Win98 boot, Linux, Linux swap, etc.)
>     Lauren>      on the disk?
>
>  iirc, phdisk has a switch that tells you how large a partition you
>  need.  It's got to be a primary partition.  It must be as large as
>  your RAM, and then a little extra room for whatever other data the
>  BIOS needs to store there.

if i run phdisk w/o any arguments, i get info about how large the file
or partition should be as well as a list of possible switches.  to get
info on the currently recognized hibernation files or parititions, i
use the /info option.

>     Lauren> Seems like a number of possibilities for messing things up pretty
>     Lauren> seriously if this sort of thing isn't known in advance...
>
>  Just have to make sure it's a large enough partition.  I'm fairly
>  certain the BIOS will use the partion in preference to a file, if the
>  partition is present.  It works for sure with a Phoenix BIOS.  Is
>  that what your laptop has?  You might try the web page of the BIOS
>  company.

i had the nasty experience of having phdisk place a 132 mb hole in a 5
gig partition last week -- i was not pleased.  i wish there was a way
to specify where to create the hibernation partition...it looks like
phdisk will go ahead and try to create a partition at the end of the
disk if it cannot find any space on the hard disk...what intelligent
behavior :-)

phdisk also supports the ability to reformat a hibernation partition
(from what i can tell, that's just a partition of type 0xa0 [ibm
thinkpad hibernation]) -- i read somewhere that someone created a
partition of type 0xa0 in a desired location and then just used the
phdisk reformatting capability.  i wasn't able to get this to work
though.