PCMCIA Locks up machine when no cards present

I've been having a problem since I installed potato last weekend on my
Toshiba Satellite 2100CDT.  If I try to boot with no PCMCIA Cards
present, it locks up on this line of /etc/init.d/pcmcia:
	/sbin/insmod /lib/modules/2.2.14/pcmcia/i82365.o

If I have my Linksys EtherFast 10/100 card in, though, it works fine.
Any ideas as to what could be causing the machine to lock up?  I don't
always need network access, & would rather keep the card in a safe place
when I'm not using it.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
--
Morgan	[zombie-m@yahoo.com]

He who sacrifices functionality for ease of use loses both and deserves
neither.