Re: PCMCIA Locks up machine when no cards present

On Wed, Mar 29, 2000 at 03:25:07PM -0700, Morgan Terry wrote:
> I've been having a problem since I installed potato last weekend on my
> Toshiba Satellite 2100CDT.  If I try to boot with no PCMCIA Cards
> present, it locks up on this line of /etc/init.d/pcmcia:
> 	/sbin/insmod /lib/modules/2.2.14/pcmcia/i82365.o

As you may probably have read I have been having almost exactly
the same problem with the i82365.o module that I compiled
from pcmcia-sources. I don't know if you compiled the pcmcia-modules
yourself, but in case you did let me know. I have no clue to
understand why it fails so badly, whereas the the module compiled
by the debian mantainer did not lock up the machine, at least in
my case.

> If I have my Linksys EtherFast 10/100 card in, though, it works fine.
> Any ideas as to what could be causing the machine to lock up?  I don't
> always need network access, & would rather keep the card in a safe place
> when I'm not using it.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> --

As far as  I understand i82365 is not specific of a network
card, but it's required by the card's driver in order
to be tied up with the pcmcia_core module that is the
central module in the pcmcia management.

-- Massimo

  Massimo Manghi / Dipartimento di Biologia Evolutiva e Funzionale
  Parco Area delle Scienze 11A | email: manghi@biol.unipr.it
  43100 Parma (Italia)         |        manghi@prfs02.biol.unipr.it