Re: APM suspend

> On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, Peter Gruber wrote:
> >
> > everytime my Laptop wake up after a suspend, I get then following kernel
> > message
> >
> >  kernel: bug: kernel timer added twice at c21c78b0.
> >
> > is this bad ? what should I do about it ?

Apparently nothing;  I see it a lot.

I'm sure one of the kernel guys will get to it eventually.  Side Bet:
later than patchlevel 3 in the new stable kernel.  It isn't crashing people,
it's only moderately reproducible, and big sites aren't screaming for its
repair or repeal.

> I quite often get this but only after a hibinate.  No clue why it happens,
> but it doesn't seem to affect anything so I......ignore it :)
>
> Besides linux is not really ment to hibinate proberly (I think) according
> to the documentation,

Linux wasn't born thinking it was going to be interrupted midsentence all
the time.  I keep thinking maybe one of the alternate schedulers might
behave better (or worse) in this regard.

But it also seems to relate partly to the BIOS.  On the Magio, I was
fairly safe even when I wasn't on an APM kernel.  A newer, tighter kernel
than the other distro's I'd been using before debian, but still, when I
hibernated without thinking, I -expected- it to crash, and it mostly
didn't.  Disgusted all my friends.  I told 'em switch to debian.

And of course I compiled a fresh kernel.  No sense asking for fsck all
the time.

> however apart from this error occasionly occuring on
> my laptop everythings happy, except were the CPU runs occasionly as only a
> fraction of the speed (probably CPU idle calls be called lots) which is
> solved by another hibinate and wake.

On other systems things have been more what I expected, and along the lines
of what you describe;  very rarely, a text character eaten, a timing hiccup
makes things slow - suspend again and it's fine - without kernel APM support,
about a one in 5 chance that the scheduler will "lose the lottery" and hang
and/or barf... with a greater than 50% chance that you still only get 3 or 4
minutes to live, because the app that lost the lottery is now following
orders from The Glitch.   "relent, repent, and reboot"

-* Heather * star@starshine.org *-