Re: Please tell your success story

On Wed, Mar 15, 2000 at 02:39:20PM +0100, Dieter Ebner wrote:
> Who has recently bought a laptop and was able to install LINUX?

I have, or actually my employer did. And it wasn't all that recently either. It was bought in december. But I'm answering anyways.

> Could you please tell me the exact type of your laptop + how you have solved
> problems.

Hewlett packard Omnibook 4150

> I am particularly interested in laptops of the higher class:
>
> 6-15 GB HD

Mine has something like that, don't really know. It about 10-20% full. The ones that are for sale now have about 18 gigs i think.

> 64-128 MB RAM

Yepps, 128. Works great.

> USB, serial, parallel

I haven't tried USB or parallel, but serial works great. Finally I got IrDA working too.

> floppy

I used it during install. It would problary still work, if I needed it.

> DVD instead of CD

Yepps. But mine went broke. I did get it working with linux though. Watching Star Trek insurrection was NOT real time.

> 14" color

Yepps?!

> external wheel mouse possible

Yepps. But external mouse support only seems to work once without a reboot. I don't need to boot with a mouse inserted, but once the mouse is removed it requires a reboot to get it working a second session.

> sound

I felt forced to buy a commercial OSS license :(   Neomagic-someting.

> modem and/or Ethernet included

Noops. I'm currently using a Xircom realport which workes really bad. Am waiting for a 3c575 to show up in my mail.

I havn't had any problems with apm.

The machine works quite ok. Some things could be better. If it wasn't for company policy, i would had bougt a thinkpad.

/Martin