Re: Please tell your success story

On Wed, Mar 15, 2000 at 14:39:20 +0100,
Dieter Ebner <ebner@spock.physik.uni-konstanz.de> wrote:
> Could you please tell me the exact type of your laptop + how you have solved
> problems.

sony vaio z505r

> 6-15 GB HD
6.4 GB HD

> 64-128 MB RAM
64 MB (extensible to 196)

> USB, serial, parallel
2x USB onboard, serial and parallel in port replicator

> floppy
USB floppy

> DVD instead of CD
nope.

12.1" with 1024x768@24bit

> external wheel mouse possible
USB

> sound
some SVGA/sound config, supported by linux.

> modem and/or Ethernet included
ethernet: onboard
modem: winmodem onboard

no major problems configuring potato (though the installation had to be
helped, but those were the first potato bootdisks). i haven't tried to
configure USB or IRDA or I.Link (firewire), but the basic HW works fine
with a standard potato installation.

i'm quite happy about the notebook (though i'd buy the z505s next time,
no need for the PII for me), especially size (sub A4, 1" high) and (lack
of) weight (1.5 kg) make it a perfect choice for taking it with you. the
only downside is batterylife (about 1h with the included batteries).

--
Thomas 'Mike' Michlmayr  | ignorami: n: The BOFH art of folding problem
<mike+sig@cluon.priv.at> |           lusers into representational shapes.