Re: Please tell your success story

On Wed, Mar 15, 2000 at 02:39:20PM +0100, Dieter Ebner wrote:
> Who has recently bought a laptop and was able to install LINUX?
>
> Could you please tell me the exact type of your laptop + how you have solved
> problems.
>
> I am particularly interested in laptops of the higher class:

Dell Latitude CPx-500 - now available with RedHat, I got win98 and
installed debian (slink+ from VA/SGI/Oreilly CD, upgraded to potato)

> 6-15 GB HD
12 GB

> 64-128 MB RAM
128 MB

> USB, serial, parallel
haven't tested

> floppy
works, external cable to use when DVD in media bay

> DVD instead of CD
I have DVD, but I'm not sure it's still available

> 14" color
yes, 1024x768

> external wheel mouse possible
yes

> sound
Maestro, sound is good, but shutdown command may hang after disks are
unmounted when the maestro module is loaded

> modem and/or Ethernet included
Xircom Realport Cardbus modem/ethernet bundled
have to put card into promiscous mode to get it working sometimes,
then go back to normal mode
modem works fine with shared IRQ defined in kernel config
Xircom Realport PCMCIA (different card) ethernet works fine