Re: Compaq Armada V300 and X

> If you have any version of windows installed then that will tell you the type of
> video card your laptop has.  Otherwise, have a look at your screen as your
> laptop is booting, sometimes the video card prints info to screen just before
> the bios information is displayed (you have to be a very fast reader though).

There are two different questions here, the video card (chipset) and the
capabilities of the monitor.

For the card, SuperProbe is the definitive answer.  That will tell you what
server to expect to use.  Just bear in mind that for some chipsetws, the SVGA
or framebuffer driver may be a choice as well as the matching accel server.

SVGA should work but might be crappy.  It won't work on 8514 cards but I
don't believe I've seen one of those on a laptop.

> If you have any manuals for the laptop, then have a look, otherwise go to the
> Compaq web site.  Hopefully then have a support area where you can get the
> specifications of your laptop.

In addition to the name of the great multimedia video widget they selected...

The keywords you are looking for are Vertical Refresh and Horizontal Sync.
If it gives you those as values or ranges, you can plug them into one of the
config apps (or even straight into /etc/X11/XF86Config) and know that your
server will not try to do anything that your monitor will consider out of
spec.

Otherwise I hope their tech support is worth it.  It may or may not be possible
to get this info from the MSwin side of the world (most people don't know to
look in Control Panel/devices, and some monitor drivers might not mention)

> Once you have the video card name and manufacturer, use XF86Setup (or
> xf86config) and select the type of card you want.  Doing this in XF86Setup
> will
> automatically set the correct driver for you or tell you that it is not
> installed (by name so that you can install it).

Beware of mismatches though, there are a HUGE number of ATI shipsets, most
of whose names are quite similar.

> Hope this helps.
> John.
>
> Heino Heikkinen wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > I have Compaq Armada V300 and have installed just Debian Slink.
> > I have problems with X,  just wonder which server is
> > valid? Display don't works properly now. I tried several servers
> > like Mach64, VGA ...
> >
> > - Hemppa-

Good luck!

* Heather