Problems on a Thinkpad 380D

I'm trying to install linux on an IBM Thinkpad 380D, and have run across
a problem.

I'm using the Debian official CD set version 2.1r2 (that's 2.0.36 kernel
and 2.0 glibc) and the disk images provided with it.
When I try to boot with the rescue floppy, I get the boot prompt just
like normal, but no matter what I enter, it just loads root.bin and the
linux kernel, then reboots back to the boot prompt.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Jules Kongslie
xeh007@yahoo.com