Re: resume works now on sony vaio pcg-c2gps (Re: skipping fsck a

thanks for your comments.  my comments follow below.

>> now if there was some good way to define and switch among profiles...
>> in addition to network settings, i'd like "profiles" to contain things
>> such as indications of which daemons are running, which XF86Config
>> file to use, whether an external keyboard is being used, etc.

bachmor> I use 'netenv' for that. You can set specific variables which
bachmor> then in turn can be used by init-scripts. When I'm at the lab
bachmor> of the universitiy I have ethernet and a wheel-mouse, at home
bachmor> I only have the wheel-mouse and dial-in, on the road no
bachmor> wheel-mouse but dial-in. This makes three different profiles
bachmor> which can be set up easily with 'netenv'.

funny you should mention netenv, as that is what i am using ;-)  it
does provide some functionality, but it hasn't been enough for me, and
i believe the author was not interested in developing it further --
perhaps that has changed now.

btw, i just noticed another tool, multinet, on freshmeat recently:

  http://users.capitolonline.nl/~nlco5954/multinet/

i have yet to try it though.

bachmor> Of course the script could relink some other files as
bachmor> well. The /etc/pcmcia/networks.opts allows the execution of
bachmor> certain commands after setting up or shutting down the
bachmor> interface, which is an appropriate place to shut down or
bachmor> (re-) start your daemons

bachmor> If using 'netenv' there's no need for that - pcmcia can use
bachmor> the options provided by 'netenv'. This makes things very easy
bachmor> :)

i did not find it to cover all of my needs in a way that didn't
require me to write a bunch of shell scripts myself.  in the past my
needs (wants?) included:

  -different packet filtering settings -- for ppp this is doable through
   /etc/ppp/ip-(up|down).d -- i wish this was more uniform for the various
   interfaces

  -keyboard (external, different language, etc.)

  -XF86Config files

  -what set of daemons run (e.g. in some environments i don't mind running a
   web server for sharing files, but in others, i'd rather run a minimal
   set if possible)

  -hostname change -- iirc. this was one of the things that the netenv
   author was not interested in supporting.

  -reconfiguration of network daemons to match new hostname -- for things
   like web servers and smtp daemons for instance

i'll have to go digging through my mail to be more comprehensive, but
perhaps the list above gives some idea.