Multifunction cards functioning... er, multiply?

I have a 3Com Megahertz 3CXEM556 Ethernet/modem combo card, which
apparently keys off the 3c589_cs kernel driver.  It works fine, but it
suffers from the problem described in the PCMCIA HOWTO[*] that the
Ethernet and serial drivers cannot function simultaneously, so that, for
instance, I have to manually rmmod the Ethernet driver to use the modem.

My question is, have more recent versions of the kernel or PCMCIA
modules alleviated this problem (I'm currently running kernel 2.2.5 and
pcmcia-cs 3.1.1-1 on top of Debian 2.1); or alternatively, can anyone
recommend an Ethernet/modem combo card (preferably with XJACK) that does
not have this problem?

						-sbigham

[*] <URL:http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/PCMCIA-HOWTO-4.html#ss4.8>