Re: Attaching external hd via PCMCIA ?

Blair Kelly III <blair.kelly@worldnet.att.net> writes:

> Does anyone have experience attaching
> an external hard drive via a
> SCSI PCMCIA card?
>
> I have a Sony 505F notebook running Debian 2.1.
> I would like to backup a very large (1 G)
> file that took a large amount of
> computer time to generate.  (Minor question-
> Is a SCSI card attached to an external
> hard drive my best way to go?)
>
> I have been reading the PCMCIA HOW-TO.
> I have been considering the ADAPTEC
> APA-1460 SlimSCSI card, but have seen
> one newsgroup posting where someone said
> they had trouble using it to connect to
> a hard drive.

If you have another computer I would suggest to buy a network card for
the laptop and copy the data to the other computer. You probably don´t
want to carry the external harddrive with the data around with you, so
its fine when the data sits on the other PC´s drive and a network card
has more uses than an pcmcia-scsi adaptor.

Just my 2c.
	Goswin