Re: Multifunction cards functioning... er, multiply?

On Mon, Nov 29, 1999 at 08:03:17PM -0500, Scott Bigham wrote:
> I have a 3Com Megahertz 3CXEM556 Ethernet/modem combo card, which
> apparently keys off the 3c589_cs kernel driver.  It works fine, but it
> suffers from the problem described in the PCMCIA HOWTO[*] that the
> Ethernet and serial drivers cannot function simultaneously, so that, for
> instance, I have to manually rmmod the Ethernet driver to use the modem.
>
> My question is, have more recent versions of the kernel or PCMCIA
> modules alleviated this problem (I'm currently running kernel 2.2.5 and
> pcmcia-cs 3.1.1-1 on top of Debian 2.1); or alternatively, can anyone
> recommend an Ethernet/modem combo card (preferably with XJACK) that does
> not have this problem?

As far as I know my combo card operates simultaneously, although I haven't
had a lot of reason to try using ethernet and modem at the same time, so I'm not
100% sure.

I'm running kernel 2.2.12 with pcmcia-cs v3.1.4-2.  My card is a Xircom
RealPort Ethernet 10/100 + Modem 56 (REM56G-100).  The laptop is a Toshiba
Satellite Pro 490CDT.

What's XJACK?

Drew Parsons