Re: Missing Time (There be Aliens?)

Nathan Duehr wrote:

> If you want some help getting NTP to work, let me know.

Thanks for your offer.  Actually, it's seems to be working now!   (this always
happens to me.  I think there must be some daemon in my computer palying tricks on
me) The reason I thought it wasn't was that I tried to compare my system time with
that of the ntp server I'm using.  I ran xntpdc <server> and typed sysinfo to find a
certain server time, which was about 15 min behind my own.  But later I noticed that
two minutes later sysinfo still gave the same server time, so I figured I was looking
at the wrong thing.  And then I noticed that my system time was no longer what I had
set it manually to (relative to my stopwatch).  So it's all working after all!

> NTP's overkill if you just want the clock fairly accurately set from the
> network

Yeah, I agree.  It's a pretty cool function though ;)

One question, how does one turn xntpd *off*???  Once you type "xntpd", that's it.
You're stuck with it.

And any ideas while hwclock didn't work earlier, and my clock kept being reset to 1
Jan 1990 00:00 ??

Thanks for your helpfulness.

Drew