Re: Missing Time (There be Aliens?)

Shaun Lipscombe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Both me and a friend run Debian on laptops (as well as Desktops).  We
> are both experiencing the same problem.  The problem is namely,
> incorrect system time.  Strange as it may seem, the BIOS is drifting
> and I don't think its my CMOS battery.... as my friend is having the
> same problems.  It must be something to do with the clock --set
> ...blah --hctosys on boot, and clock --set ...blah --systohc on
> shutdown.  Has anyone else seen this behaviour, or does anyone know
> how I can track this lil' one down?

I've had a problem that sounds similar.  Last week Linux crashed on me (for no
obvious reason.  ha!  who says MS Windows is the Devil's brand and only Linux
will "do it" for you?!)  After this I noticed that the clock had gone back to 1
Jan 1990 00:00.  Then no matter how many times I invoked hwclock, after each
reboot the clock came back again to this primaeval time setting.  Eventually the
only way I could set the clock permanently was by booting Windows and setting it
from there.  After this I was curiously able to use hwclock in Linux to set the
time permanently.

I still seem to have lost my proper timezone, but that's not so important to
me.  Also the ntp daemon for setting the clock from the network won't work for
quids, but I guess that is a question for another time.

In short, try setting the clock from Windows (heh) and see if it'll work better
after that.

Drew Parsons