Re: apt 0.7.25: Please update the manpage translation for the package apt

Quoting Sandro Tosi (morph@debian.org):
> On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 11:39, David Kalnischkies
> <kalnischkies+debian@gmail.com> wrote:
> > And as a more technical reason we want to bump policy compatibly
> > now to 3.8.3 where translations should be in sync with the original
> > files and we can't say this would be true for such an old translation.
>
> Policy says a different thing:
>
> from /usr/share/doc/debian-policy/upgrading-checklist.txt.gz
>       * Localized man pages should either be kept up-to-date with the
>         original version or warn that they're not up-to-date, either with
>         warning text or by showing missing or changed portions in the
>         original language.                                        [12.1]
>
> So you can still ship the not up-to-date manpages but you have to warn
> users of their state.

Which is always the case when using po4a. Actually, by default, po4a
replaces missing parts by English and does not create translated
documents when the translation ratio is below a given threshold.

So, indeed, one should read the above as "software should use po4a to
manage their manpages"..:-)