Re: Konflikt durch shutdown.8

Hi Dmitry,

Am 22.03.2015 um 10:48 schrieb Dmitry Shachnev:
> I agree — the manpages should be added to their respective packages.

This wouldn't improve the situation. We generate the translation templates from
Debian packages anyway, and manpages-de is part of a typical Debian installation
with language support for German. The ugly side effect of the Debian-based way
is, if other distributions which ship manpages-de (currently Fedora, Mageia and
Archlinux) have other program versions in their repos, the translations then are
newer or older than the real contents which have to be translated. That's why
the best way:

> Maybe even the upstream systemd developers will be kind enough to include
> our translated manpages in their git tree.

But only in a few cases I'm succeeded to get the translations "back" into the
upstream projects (for example dos2unix, wcd, procps). Most developers don't see
it as a priority to have translated docs, even in case they are not native
English speakers. And anyway, a simple feature request which doesn't contain a
working patch is not succesful in most cases. I remember such attempts for exif,
cryptsetup and vorbis-tools. I don't have any knowledge about Autotools, Cmake
and any other build system, so I cannot help out to implement the po4a stack.

For the time being I don't see a conflict in the Debian packages. But for my
Fedora system, which ships shutdown.8 from systemd, I have to think about how to
maintain the translation. Probably it is easier to keep it off the manpages-de
Git than to maintain it there, without an upstream package where the po file
could be updated from.

Best Regards,
Mario