Re: [RFR] wml://users/com/spezihosting.wml

Hi,

Le 02/12/2011 16:11, Holger Wansing a écrit :
>> On Fri, Dec 02, 2011 at 01:27:24PM -0400, David Prévot wrote:

>>> I just committed the attached files: the German description and its
>>> English translation that were provided directly by FRESH Internet
>>> Support-Team. Please feel free to fix any typo in the German description
>>> (and bump the translation check accordingly in English) and fix the
>>> English translation if it needs it.
>
> So German is the original here. Is this fine?

Sure: there are other pages like this one (in www.d.o/international
obviously, but I also did a few translation from French recently in
www.d.o/legal/anssi and www.d.o/events/2011/1001-jabberfr-bsp).

> If translators for other languages (lets say french) translate this file,
> they will most likely translate from the english file, because most of them
> will not understand german.

They probably will, using the usual translation-check of the English
revision number, but if the translator (lets say Danish), prefers to
translate directly from German, he can use, as in English, the
“translation-check original="german"” header.

> So I think it would be better to make English the original.

It doesn't really matter, but it won't be true (and I actually like this
feature that allows one to propose a text in any language, and allows
translators to use any language as source of translation).

> And I read the german version and found a sentence that makes me think,
> that the author also wrote the english version as original and then the german
> version was translated from english:

Comment from the person who provided me the English translation, after
he provided me the German description: “unfortunately, we currently do
not have a official description in English so I just tried to translate
it: […] However, if there are some serious grammatical mistakes I'd
welcome you to "debug" them. ;-)” (and I indeed fixed a few glitches).

> IMO a native german speaker would not write that, but instead the
> following:
>
> "Wir schätzen Debian als Betriebssystem insbesondere aufgrund seiner
> Stabilität und Leistungsfähigkeit ..."

Feel free to fix the German description provided by the German employee
of this German company, I'm pretty sure they won't mind if it's for the
best (please note that I just had to fix a French description provided
by a French employee of a French company too, in order to use our usual
vocabulary instead of the Frenglish one sometime used in IT
departments), that's actually one of the reasons why I asked for a
review in this list.

As initially proposed, if you fix the German wording, please update the
translation check of the English versions (and others eventually, as we
usually do while fixing typos), but if you disagree with this approach,
feel free to remove the translation check of the English version and fix
it in German (but you may have to deal soon with a description
translated from French, where you will be welcome to ignore the
“original="french"” part and focus on the English version as usual ;-).

Regards

David