Re: Do not touch l10n files (was Re: DDTP issue)

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 12:57:51PM +0200, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:
> On Tue, 13 May 2003, Martin Quinson wrote:
>
> > On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 09:42:16AM +0200, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:
> > >
> > > If you really believe that the apache description should be improved than
> > > you file a bug against apache asking to changing layout, proposing the
> > > better one so that everyone can be alligned to it.
> >
> > If I understand well, you are bored because you think that the layout used
> > in french could be good in all languages, but the french translators sort of
> > kept it for themselves.
>
> No, I am not bored. People in some msgs wrote that the french layout is
> better. I am not against the fact that it can be better. Just use the
> right way so that everyone can benefit in a similar way.

But you missed our point saying that we don't want to use it in french
because it looks better, but because we have to. The fact that it looks
better and could be used in the other languages as well is another point,
and nobody in the french team never commented on that.

Again, in french, that's not just esthetical. And we, as french translators,
let you the decision about the esthetic of the thing for the other languages.

> I don't want to prevent you to use your language like i wouldn't like the
> otherw ay around. Is there any way to be closer to the original esthetical
> layout?

Nop. It must be so in French. The previous translation was an obvious error.

And I'm not the right person to decide if it's better looking in other
languages since I'm only native french speaker.

Your engagement for the quality of your package is really great. Only, I
think that you are not responsible of the translation. I know that there is
a lack in debian framework concerning this point, but it really should be so
('cause maintainer cannot be responsible for translations they do not
understand. How do you handle tranlations in russian, japaneese and
bokmal?).

Correcting this lack is a completely other topic, too large to be discussed
here (browse debian-i18n archives if you really care).

As long as this lack isn't corrected, feel free to mark all bugs
concerning the french translation as "forwarded to upstream", and forward it
to our mailing list. We will take care of them and help you to correct them.

Bye, Mt.

--
Learning and doing is the true spirit of free software -- learning without
doing gets you academic sterility, and doing without learning is all too