Re: Do not touch l10n files (was Re: DDTP issue)

On Tue, 13 May 2003, Pierre Machard wrote:

> Hi;
>
> [I reply to this message, since I am the guy who translates the
> Description]
>
> On tue 13 may 2003 at 06:57 +0200, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:
> [...]
> > > Now Apache maintainers are telling us that they chose another layout
> > > and we are bound to it.
> >
> > Yes because the official maintainer is responsable for the description of
> > a package. Including the layout and this was told already in the same
> > message above.
>
> Please try to consider that each language as its particularity.

I do not understand why the previous translation was alligned to our
layout and noone is still able to give me an answer about this.

> > File a wishlist bug as you were told already:
> >
> > http://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting
>
> A whishlist bug against what ? Against the French Language because we
> do use an itemized list where English uses a different layout ?

If you really believe that the apache description should be improved than
you file a bug against apache asking to changing layout, proposing the
better one so that everyone can be alligned to it.

> We are performing a lot of reviews to ensure that the quality of the
> translation is good. 3 translators were agreed to use this translation.

We did not, i will repeat this until the end of the world, discuss the
quality of the contents. We are discussing the layout. Quoting myself
from
http://lists.debian.org/debian-l10n-french/2003/debian-l10n-french-200305/msg00123.html

"Be carefull. We don't want to make a big deal out of it and neither we
are telling the french translation team that is bad what they did. We
appreciate seriously the effort that the ddtp team is doing. What we are
saying is that if they prefer another format they can just contanct us. We
are open to suggestions. We just didn't really like the way it was done
and that the format is not coherent with the original one."

> I do. Denis kindly answers to your message because he is _very_ relevant
> with i18n and l10n.

Until the last 2 messages I did not asked for name or pointed fingers
against people directly and i kept the talk as much generic as possible
because i don't care who does the job until it gets done correctly.

> Try to understand what Denis means. The problem on that very problem is
> that you would not admit that we are true (from the translator's point of
> view).

from the translator point of view you should only translate. That's what i
do when i submit italian translation. If have a concern about anything
else i ask the maintainer. prove that I am wrong.

> Generaly speeking, we (people aware of l10n and i18n) believe that the
> maintainer's job is not to deal with these issues. Translators are
> bored to fix maintainers mistakes. Moreover, I believe that a maintainer
> should not loose his time on l10n.

Yes we do.

just an examoke:

http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/ch-best-pkging-practices.en.html#s-bpp-pkg-desc

"The long description should consist of full and complete sentences."

I miss to see how a list can fullfil this reference.

> > Why do you think we did ask kindly to have the french layout alligned with
> > all the others? and we did not changed it ourself? Because we did not want
> > to change the contents of the description even for a typo but having its
> > layout alligned with the others.
>
> The question is Why do you want to have its layout alligned with the
> others ?

I could simply ask you the question the other way around: why do you want
to be different from all the others? but it's a chicken & egg stupid game.

The reason is simple. The DD decide the layout and the descriptio and it
is responsable for it again the community and the users, no matter in
which language. All the others cope with our layout and i don't see any
language barrier that does not permit you to do so.

Fabio

--
Our mission: make IPv6 the default IP protocol
"We are on a mission from God" - Elwood Blues

http://www.itojun.org/paper/itojun-nanog-200210-ipv6isp/mgp00004.html