Re: Finnish translation for archiver

On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 09:52:05AM +0300, Niklas Vainio wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 06:03:15PM +0200, Wesley W. Terpstra wrote:
> > Hi, I was wondering if anyone had interest in adding Finnish native language
> > support to a searchable version of the debian archive:
>
> Attached. Others have perhaps comments.
>
> I couldn't find these used anywhere so I had to guess the translation. Any
> URLs?
>
> | old-topics="Vanhat aiheet"
> | new-topics="Uudet aiheet"

Ahh, old-topics and new-topics appear in email messages which have a reply
that starts a new thread. Here's an example:

http://people.debian.org/~terpstra/message/20040511.220619.85d9ca56.en.html
http://people.debian.org/~terpstra/message/20040512.070741.7244529b.en.html

> | front-page="Etusivu"

Depending on the settings, this may appear in the upper-left corner of the
main page.

> | missing-lang=" - puuttuu tiedostosta lang.xml"

This is an error message. I am glad you didn't see it. =)

When there is an archived list with a language unknown to lurker it says in
the drop down:
English
xx - missing in lang.xml
Finish

> | offline=" (viesti puuttuu)"

If a mailing list is not available on the web-site, but a link from the main
page is provided to the other site, this appears beside the name.
Perhaps (offsite) would be more accurate in english too.

So:

# Debian-GCC — blah blah
# Debian-Glibc (offline) — blah blah
# Debian-GTK-GNOME — blah blah

> | deleted-message="viesti poistettu"

If a message has been removed from the archive, but appears still in the
thread tree, this is popup text shown when the mouse is hovered over the
icon.

> | unknown-address="ei tiedossa"

If an email has no From information at all, this is used for the author
name.

> | deleted-name="poistettu"

If an email has been deleted, but appears in a list context somewhere (very
rare), this is used for the author name.

> | posted-at=" "

This appears in two places on the page
	http://people.debian.org/~terpstra/message/20040824.074744.b148ff3a.en.html
The next and previous links in the upper-right corner 'name" at "date'
Hover the mouse of the graphic of the messages.

> Are month names used only in searches? Because I translated them like this:
>
> | jan="tammikuuta"

At the moment, yes.
If I use them somewhere else I will add another string; thanks for the tip.

> Dates should be printed according to the locale. In the Finnish version the
> month day should have a period (.) after the number in search forms, i.e.
>
> Original: 1 December 2005
> Finnish:  1. joulukuuta 2005

Interesting.
I will have to add a new field for this.
It also will require me to make the day and year drop-downs different.

I've put it online now.
http://people.debian.org/~terpstra/splash/index.fi.html

I had to change the encoding from ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8.
Was ISO-8859-1 correct?

I've attached the version I put online.

Would it be alright with you if I included your name and email address in
the lurker AUTHORS file?

PS. Is Soumi spelled correctly?

--
Wesley W. Terpstra